2015 Call for Presentation
We invite you to propose an educational session for the 2015 National Funeral Directors Association (NFDA) International Convention & Expo, October 18-21, Indiana Convention Center & Lucas Oil Stadium, Indianapolis, Indiana.
NFDA is looking for challenging, thought-provoking, innovative, and practical submissions that focus on helping funeral businesses achieve new levels of performance and service to families. Educational sessions will provide interactive opportunities for learning and include how-to content, best business practices and diversity of perspective.
Submission deadline: Monday, November 3, 2014. No exceptions.
Basic information you will need to complete your submission:
- Business Management & Operations
May be funeral home, crematory, cemetery business related topics such as communications, ethics, facility/grounds design/maintenance, finances, generational issues, green business practices, human resources/workforce development, marketing, merchandising, performance measurement, public relations, preneed, societal responsibilities, strategic planning, succession planning, trends
- Customer Service
Such as arrangement strategies, communication skills, cremation, diversity/multicultural competency, green funerals, memorialization, natural burial, personalization, serving changing client families
- Grief & Bereavement
Such as aftercare, caregiver care, concepts/theories of grief, continuum of service, hospice, resources, role of funeral director/staff
- Legal & Regulatory
Such as ADA, DOL, EPA, FTC Funeral Rule, OSHA, etc.; compliance, due diligence, issues, liability
- Technical Skills
Such as alternative preservation techniques, cosmetology, embalming, restorative art, special cases, trauma embalming
Such as internal management policies, mobile marketing, online business tools, social media, using technology to stay competitive, websites and website marketing
- Professional Development
Such as coaching/team management skills, consultative sales skills, interpersonal skills, leadership development, supervisory skills
NFDA is the leading and largest funeral director association in the world. Primarily, attendees at NFDA Convention educational sessions are licensed funeral directors. Over 50 percent of attendees are business owners; another 25 percent are managers. Crematories are owned by nearly 55 percent of session attendees, and over 30 percent offer green funeral options to families. In their search for solutions to deal with today’s business challenges, over 90 percent of session attendees choose sessions because of the topic. About six percent of session attendees are international members of NFDA.
Educational sessions that promote specific commercial products or services or the sale or distribution of promotional materials will not be considered for review. Members of the 2015 NFDA Professional Development Committee will review all complete non-promotional proposals and will select sessions based on but not limited to the following selection criteria.
- Content offers new ideas, tools or strategies for service improvement and business growth for funeral homes
- Content contributes to overall balance of 2015 Convention programming
- Clarity, conciseness, completeness of proposal responses
- Proposer’s professional experience and background
- Past NFDA Convention presenter evaluation ratings when applicable
- Each primary presenter selected to present educational sessions at the 2015 NFDA Convention will receive (1) one complimentary full NFDA Convention & Expo registration; (2) valuable professional exposure (print, online promotions and publications); (3) evaluation scores after the Convention; (4) one session recording (if applicable).
- Any co-presenters will receive a discounted registration rate.
- Individuals who are selected to present educational sessions pay their own travel, hotel, and other related expenses, and any special event fees for themselves and their guests.
- Only online proposals are accepted.
- Only information submitted on the form will be reviewed.
- All communication about proposals must be sent via email. Please adjust any spam-filtering system or firewall settings to accept email messages from NFDA.
- If there is more than one presenter, some information fields must be completed for each individual.
- Educational sessions are either one or two-hours in length.
- Proposers selected to present educational sessions are required to provide JPEG or TIFF headshots and electronic copies of PowerPoint presentations and handouts prior to the NFDA Convention as required and detailed in the NFDA Presenter Agreement. Note that handouts are very important to session attendees.
- All steps of the submission process must be completed and all deadlines met.
- Multiple proposals can be submitted.
- Proposers will be notified no later than March 2015. Selection information will not be given over the telephone. Individuals whose proposals are accepted will be emailed the NFDA Presenter Agreement no later than April 2015. The signed Agreement is required before a presenter is listed on any official promotions or programs.
- Print out and keep this information for your files.